Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Living Simply With Kids, the Christmas Edition

Most of the kids' presents this Christmas were different. We didn't spend days and hours in mortal combat for the newest hottest thing (my wife was smart, I got Guitar Hero III for my birthday, a month ahead of time) but we did something different. The kids got craft stuff, art stuff, and building blocks. Oh, sure, clothes and other stuff were given, too, in cotton and wool and other natural fiber, but mainly the gifts were of things that will mean a lot. My dad got the girls in the family little pendants, some had emeralds, some rubies, others diamond chips, but they got their first real jewelry.

My kids got a group present of percussion instruments - bongos, castanets, shakers and other stuff. They music was raucous and loud, pure in its seeming chaotic melody. I got stuff I needed for my bike, which is still broken, after two weeks. Next week for sure, its going to the shop for new rubber strip to cover the spoke nips, and fresh rubber. New gloves, new lights (sure, its Bell lights, but they work) and a new helmet. I also got a memory card so I don't have to reboot my game over and over again.

The kids went about, as it was a cool mid-50 weather, with sunshine and a light breeze, before they went to celebrate Christmas at their momma's house. My kids with my wife are here, sleeping the sleep of the sated and overstimulated.

Oh, a funny note....

My stepfather in law (this would be my wife's stepfather) is a strange bird. I got a note from him wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, and it had a sticker, saying "Merry Christmas - its OK to say it!"

I had a Noel Coward moment, "Oh, of course it is!"

Thinking back, I remember when some charity group was thinking about saying something other than Merry Christmas because it was soliciting in a non-Christian neighborhood, and didn't want to offend non -Christian folk. I understand. Hey, I'm Mexican. The word in Spanish for 'black man is "Negro," because in Spanish, that's the word for black. Now, if I was in a black neighborhood, chances are I would not use this term, even in my native Spanish tongue, because I would probably offend someone.

Its a holiday - yeah, it's religion for me, but I don't cram my faith down anyone's neck. I feel my right to assert my faith ends at the boundary of my skin and the air outside my body. My convictions, while I speak of them as best I can, are still only the edicts I can keep within myself. So, if someone came up to me and wished me a well-wishes based on their faith, then sure, I would accept it - good manners and good vibes are universal.

So, yeah, its ok to say Merry Christmas - however, some people get bent when they get lumped in without even a consideration. My salutation of Merry Christmas was answered with a "Happy Solstice" by a wiccan friend - we smiled and laughed. So many Christian rituals are based in pagan rites.... why get testy over it? Say "have a good holiday" if you work with a large group of the population and you might prevent a tirade from someone sick of feeling like he's forced to accept something that not his/her faith in the first place. Hey, it's Christmas, be considerate of others. People care that you at least try to respect their faiths, instead of assuming your faith is the default.

So Merry Christmas to you, and Happy Holidays.

Mago

No comments: